Software Download and Purchasing
It is very important to update common software as hackers and thieves will exploit them to compromise your computer or steal sensitive information.
- Statistical Software : JMP, R-Project, SAS, SPSS, WINBUGS
- VPN (Enables file access for Off-Campus Network Connections)
- Stat Graphics Software : GGobi, ggplot, Manet
- Typesetting Software : MiKTeX, GSview, TeXnicCenter
- X-Windows Software : Cygwin
- ISU Site Licensed Software: includes Antivirus, and OPenSSH
- How to Configure and Run Windows Remote Desktop (enables you to connect to your office computer from home).
- JMP is a powerful statistical package most widely used in undergraduate statistics course. It is available for Windows and OSX.
- R-Project is a free Statistical/Graphics Software Package similar to Splus available on the Windows, Macintosh, and Linux Platforms
- SAS is a widely used data processing/statistical software package. Windows SAS is installed in the many public labs: search public labs on campus
- SPSS is a statistical software package that is widely used in the social sciences. Windows SPSS is available from a site license at AIT and can only be installed on university owned PCs.
Stat Graph Software
- GGobi is an open source visualization program for exploring high-dimensional data. It provides highly dynamic and interactive graphics such as tours, as well as familiar graphics such as the scatterplot, barchart and parallel coordinates plots. The interactive plots are linked with brushing and identification. Also available is rggobi which is an R package that provides an easy interface with GGobi.
- ggplot2 – ggplot2 is a plotting system for R, based on the grammar of graphics, which tries to take the good parts of base and lattice graphics and none of the bad parts. It takes care of many of the fiddly details that make plotting a hassle (like drawing legends) as well as providing a powerful model of graphics that makes it easy to produce complex multi-layered graphics.
- MiKTeX is an up-to-date TeX implementation for the Windows operating system. It includes LaTeX and other common forms of TeX. TeX is generally considered to be the best way to typeset complex mathematical formulas, but, especially in the form of LaTeX and other template packages, is now also being used for many other typesetting tasks. To install go to MiKTeX, then follow the link for installation. Note that TeXnic Center is an excellent user interface for MiKTeX.
- GSview is a graphical interface for Ghostscript under MS-Windows, OS/2 and Unix. Ghostscript is an interpreter for the Postscript page description language used by laser printers. For documents following the Adobe Postscript Document Structuring Conventions, GSview allows selected pages to be viewed or printed.
- TeXnicCenter is a feature rich integrated development environment (IDE) for developing LaTeX-documents on Microsoft Windows (Windows 9x/ME, NT/2000/XP) freely available under GPL. IDE means the integration of all the tools, needed to develop documents with LaTeX, into just one application. You have the editor to write your LaTeX files with, you can start the building process just by choosing a menu item and the output of the LaTeX compiler is written to a window of TeXnicCenter and analyzed, so that you can simply jump from one error, warning or bad box to another one. Also viewing the generated output is easy with TeXnicCenter. Just choose a menu item and the correct viewer application will be started and if supported by the viewer, the output will be displayed at the position belonging to the current source position in TeXnicCenter. And the best: TeXnicCenter is distributed as open source under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) and is consequently available for free.http://www.toolscenter.org/front_content.php . Then choose Download-TeXnicCenter Setup, Version 1 Beta 6.21 (‘Fawkes’) and follow the prompts.